View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

I have heard that the HF axles are thinner than the others.

A trans swap in a CRX is not horrible, but it wasn't my favorite project to do. It took a couple of days of farting around to do it. The "b*tch pin* that holds the shift linkage to the trans is very aptly named; I wound up pulling half the linkage with the trans and driving the pin out with everything out of the car already.

If the car started as an Si (the only US-spec CRX with a 1.6L motor), the gear ratios will be very short and quite horrible for MPG. Look for about 30 MPG in a mix of city-freeway without hypermiling. The DX transmission was better (same gear ratios actually, but taller ring and pinion) and the HF the tallest geared of all. Those are a bit hard to find, though.

The ability to use a Scangaute or an Ultragauge in the Accent would be a significant consideration to me. With the CRX, you will have to wire in an MPGuino yourself. I still haven't gotten around to installing mine.

If you don't need a four-seater, the CRX is a decent choice. It is not as safe as the later larger car; the CRX will fold up more than the Accent will. Assuming you do not avoid the accident, of course.

Rust is a potentially big problem in CRXes. The rear fenders love to rust out. The sunroof panels on the Si cars almost always have at least some rust bubbles. Another big potential problem is stupid owners who don't maintain the car or put very questionable "mods" on it because they think it's cool.

I probably wouldn't get a CRX for $1K that needed a transmission. And it sounds like this one does; that is most likely a rattling input shaft bearing (ISB) which requires transmission disassembly to replace.

-soD