Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Hyundai sounds like it was driven hard with all those mods but with 10 years newer tech, I'd go with that one.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatta4 View Post
As far as my research has gone, The HF tranny is the highest geared ratio tranny, even better than the VX tranny...
This is a little off topic, maybe, but do you know the ratios for the VX and HF? I wonder what compatibilities there are across generations. I doubt much, but I wonder because I have heard Honda designs for that. I drive a sixth generation '98 Civic.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Any D series transmission wil bolt to a D-series engine, b to b, etc.

If your 98 has a D series, either the HF or VX trans will bolt in, with one or more caveats (always something...) The HF has a cable actuated clutch linkage. The hydro setup won't blt on, but it can be modified easily to work reliably.

Axles- the Trans sides, I believe, are ask the same for 5 speed D Series trans, but if they're not, you may need to swap inner cv joints. I strongly believe your axles should fit right in.

Mounts- the bulk of the engine/trans weight is supported by the trans, which has 2-3 mounts, where the engine only has one. Your existing mounts may bolt to the new (older) unit, or not. I can't remember.

Clutch- Your original might work, and the pressure plate/diaphragm definitely is ok, but the friction disc may not work, depending on which trans you get. 88-89 HF have a different spline count in the input shaft than 90-91, and no idea about the VX trans.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-17-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have heard that the HF axles are thinner than the others.

A trans swap in a CRX is not horrible, but it wasn't my favorite project to do. It took a couple of days of farting around to do it. The "b*tch pin* that holds the shift linkage to the trans is very aptly named; I wound up pulling half the linkage with the trans and driving the pin out with everything out of the car already.

If the car started as an Si (the only US-spec CRX with a 1.6L motor), the gear ratios will be very short and quite horrible for MPG. Look for about 30 MPG in a mix of city-freeway without hypermiling. The DX transmission was better (same gear ratios actually, but taller ring and pinion) and the HF the tallest geared of all. Those are a bit hard to find, though.

The ability to use a Scangaute or an Ultragauge in the Accent would be a significant consideration to me. With the CRX, you will have to wire in an MPGuino yourself. I still haven't gotten around to installing mine.

If you don't need a four-seater, the CRX is a decent choice. It is not as safe as the later larger car; the CRX will fold up more than the Accent will. Assuming you do not avoid the accident, of course.

Rust is a potentially big problem in CRXes. The rear fenders love to rust out. The sunroof panels on the Si cars almost always have at least some rust bubbles. Another big potential problem is stupid owners who don't maintain the car or put very questionable "mods" on it because they think it's cool.

I probably wouldn't get a CRX for $1K that needed a transmission. And it sounds like this one does; that is most likely a rattling input shaft bearing (ISB) which requires transmission disassembly to replace.

-soD
Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Blow stuff up

S2000 - '03 Honda S2000
Team Honda
90 day: 24.42 mpg (US)
Not sure if the axles are physically thinner- but the number of splines on the axles is smaller than on non-HF axles.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Civic/CRX axles - The HF and STD versions share the same hub size and spline count outboard, while auto trans have a smaller inboard stub.

The axle is physically the same size/length, iirc. Just the cv ends that are different. I also believe one can swap ends, but could be mistaken there.

The EG 92-95 USDM axles will fit EF/ED 88-91 "basic" models, although the newer models are a different p/n, and physically look different.

We found from Wonderboy's experience that HF/STD hubs share a spline count with Geo Metro axles. The Geo axles are a bit long, and require washers. The inners are not the same count as any D-series trans.

Reply  Post New Thread