View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #92 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
This is well said as both handling and ride are affected by over-inflation.

More than a decade ago I bought an 89 Celica convertible from a private seller. I test drove the car and loved it but I thought it handled a bit oddly. My mechanic inspected it before I bought it and found everything to be OK. But at highway speeds the handling was spooky: uncomfortably unpredictable. Driving it just didn't feel right. After owning it for a day or two I checked the tires and found the tire pressures were close to 50 PSI. I reduced the pressure to about 38 and what a difference it made! It handled just great. I enjoyed the car for 16 years and recently sold it, with it still going strong.

So no, higher pressure is not always better, and it might even be unsafe. And yes, the much harsher ride that comes with over-inflated tires might not make you a happy camper, either.
I've run 50 psi for some time in my F150 and it handles the same as it does with lower pressures, aside from the added bump harshness. I've also run it on other vehicles too and have noted the same thing- handling OK but harshness increased.

Feel free to run your stuff at down to 35 then- I won't badmouth you for that.

Re: 30 mph: On my bicycle and Songi, yes. Others, up to 60 normally, with occasional blasts to 130 mph... or more.