View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #42 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Before I started hypermiling I intended to mod for performance following a friend of mine who got his Fabia just before me. He started with 134hp and 256 lb/ft and a few mods later (remap, hybrid turbo, intake, exhaust, front intercooller etc.) had 190hp and > 300 lb/ft. He did this the right way - uprating the brakes and suspension first - Fabias are not good handlers.

My still standard VRS had about the same average MPG in normal driving after the mods so we did a small experiment of resetting the on board average MPG and then doing a short 8 mile route pressing on. I couldn't really keep up even in a straight line and at the end mine came back in the mid 30s his was the high 20s. That was both of us using the full revs (4,500) that we could.

It wasn't scientific by any means but it arguably showed that the extra fuel went with speed and driving style and not the mods themselves. Interestingly his car was easier to drive than mine - the hybrid turbo came on much sooner and smoother than my standard one, and remap made the power band wider and so on. I could drive his like a limo.

In terms of mods on mine I only got as far as uprating the clutch to an SMF and then turned to enhancing FE instead.