Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Headers can help at lower speed driving but it depends on how bad your stock headers are. On my car the stock header is welded on the inside adding a turbulent restriction as the exhaust leaves the cylinder, from there the inside of the primary is between 10-18% smaller than the one on the rear this makes for slightly uneven power. Opening this up to match the back frees power and balances the performance. Some people that have replaced this report a small increase in MPG but they are driving for performance not economy.

Remember that this will not hold on all cars and each situation needs to be evaluated separately.
I have flow tested; stock headers, ported stock headers, and after market performance headers, and even though the flow rate goes up quit substantialy [15% - 60%]there is no measurable difference in fuel consumption when instaled, and driving at the posted speed limit.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #42 (permalink)
The PRC.

Before I started hypermiling I intended to mod for performance following a friend of mine who got his Fabia just before me. He started with 134hp and 256 lb/ft and a few mods later (remap, hybrid turbo, intake, exhaust, front intercooller etc.) had 190hp and > 300 lb/ft. He did this the right way - uprating the brakes and suspension first - Fabias are not good handlers.

My still standard VRS had about the same average MPG in normal driving after the mods so we did a small experiment of resetting the on board average MPG and then doing a short 8 mile route pressing on. I couldn't really keep up even in a straight line and at the end mine came back in the mid 30s his was the high 20s. That was both of us using the full revs (4,500) that we could.

It wasn't scientific by any means but it arguably showed that the extra fuel went with speed and driving style and not the mods themselves. Interestingly his car was easier to drive than mine - the hybrid turbo came on much sooner and smoother than my standard one, and remap made the power band wider and so on. I could drive his like a limo.

In terms of mods on mine I only got as far as uprating the clutch to an SMF and then turned to enhancing FE instead.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Much fun can be had w the little things: a tough looking air dam would be totally dual purpose.
Moon wheel covers....low dollar and clean!

Elimination of bumpers depending on vintage, and legalities in your area.

Side under wheelbase skirts

Lower the car for better handling and CD

On a 4headlighted veh., consider changing the high beam area into cool air induction

Build a smoother nose piece like George Poteet's Blowfish

Custom your hood so that the back comes up cowl induction like to HIDE your wipers

If you have a hatchback or fastback; similar to back window louvers, build inside ones that are lighter to keep you cooler, and more aero!

Lose or reduce in size the outside mirrors/doorhandles

Reply  Post New Thread