View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #97 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
UFO- I wasn't actually saying that going to the sidewall pressire was "overinflating." Sorry if I made it look like that. I was addressing SentraSE-R's statement that "There's simply no relationship or cause/effect rationale possible." That surprised me enough that it completely bumped from my mind the fact that two posts earlier he said "inflation to sidewall maximum is not overinflation." So that's a sorry to both of you. It turns out that I was agreeing with SentraSE-R even though I thought I wasn't. My point about pressure affecting tire life was referring to tires above sidewall pressure. I singled that out because it's the only environmental parameter that's preset (and the thread topic)- everything else is just driving conditions.

I don't even approach max sidewall with my 215/45/17s because with New England frost heaves being the way they are it'll mean blowouts and failed steering/suspension parts. I sell too many tie rod ends and control arm bushings to people with tall tires at factory pressure settings- I have low tires with and don't feel like damaging my car. My car wants 35F 33R and the sidewall is 44. I'm at 40 all around and don't plan on going higher because I just don't have enough sidewall height to make me feel safe at max sidewall, much less over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%