View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #4778 (permalink)
Camaro
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBecker View Post
I find the AVR very easy to write code for, and the environment is the least painful to set up of all microcontrollers. Under Ubuntu you just load the Arduino package and it pulls in everything you need. You can run one of the canned Arduino programs, verify that it works, and then move onto real programming in C.

The PIC isn't a big step up in any respect. What is the motivation for choosing it? The availability of through-hole DIP parts?

We switched to the STM32 processor, which has an ARM core. It's has far more capable hardware, but it is a super PITA to get started with.
Then you've had better luck than me. I've been working with PIC's and other micro controllers for many years, and I've never accidentally locked a controller until I messed with the AVR. Those stupid fuse bits. Why call them fuses? They're configuration bits. I've also never been happy with Arduino. For someone getting started it's fine, but I like having lower level control to my bits.

As far as capabilities, your right the AVR and PIC line of processors are very similar. I just prefer PIC's.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my code today. I'll post it later today. I'd like to see what others make of it. Hopefully catch any mistakes I've made.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camaro For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (01-20-2022)