Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #4771 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quite right. As usual , your the man

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #4772 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Actually, I'm the spanish dessert (the flan). hahaha. Well, I tested the circuit for the isolated DC-DC, and I made a booboo with the design. I was talking with Flan about it (or was it Fran?), maybe I'm just hungry... He explained why I was only getting half the voltage on the output side. Man, I'm such a stinker sometimes. Also, the 555 timer is a piece of crap. You can't do 50% duty, so I discovered, so I'm switching to an ATTiny for doing the 50% duty pulses. yay! It will work this time! First try, 50% of the way there, 2nd try, 100%!!! hahaha. I found an ATTiny that's like $1.20. That's cheap, man! dang! fo' sheezee feta cheezee.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #4773 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here's a few pics of the mostly completed unit. Just got to fit the solid state relay and freewheel diode for my pesky shunt field
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	8424   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	8425   Click image for larger version

Name:	27.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	8428  

Last edited by jackbauer; 05-22-2011 at 12:03 PM..
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #4774 (permalink)
AC-DC enthusiast

Dual-PWR PHEV - '04 Toyota Prius

Kopper - '79 Bradley Bradley GT-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Here's a few pics of the mostly completed unit. Just got to fit the solid state relay and freewheel diode for my pesky shunt field
Can you please clearly label the buss bars to everyone to see?
I had more than one inquire about them but never posted a picture of my controller build near finish yet.
Thanks, Jack
. . . . . . . .CALCars # 27. . . . . . . . . . ..on the works now !!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . ........
Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #4775 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Done!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #4776 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks Jack!

I am following along with great interest.. As I have said - it takes forever to download a video on dial-up - BUT I I DID

I thought your "trusty" starter motor was going to fly off the bench!

Thanks for the scope video .. I am surprised you do not have much RF noise back to the controller as those starters are noise machines!

Great work!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #4777 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro View Post
I'll post my code in the next few days, and I'm designing a PCB in Eagle for a small plug in board. I've never been a fan of AVR's. They're just more of a pain to program, but I understand why Paul choose it.
I find the AVR very easy to write code for, and the environment is the least painful to set up of all microcontrollers. Under Ubuntu you just load the Arduino package and it pulls in everything you need. You can run one of the canned Arduino programs, verify that it works, and then move onto real programming in C.

The PIC isn't a big step up in any respect. What is the motivation for choosing it? The availability of through-hole DIP parts?

We switched to the STM32 processor, which has an ARM core. It's has far more capable hardware, but it is a super PITA to get started with.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #4778 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBecker View Post
I find the AVR very easy to write code for, and the environment is the least painful to set up of all microcontrollers. Under Ubuntu you just load the Arduino package and it pulls in everything you need. You can run one of the canned Arduino programs, verify that it works, and then move onto real programming in C.

The PIC isn't a big step up in any respect. What is the motivation for choosing it? The availability of through-hole DIP parts?

We switched to the STM32 processor, which has an ARM core. It's has far more capable hardware, but it is a super PITA to get started with.
Then you've had better luck than me. I've been working with PIC's and other micro controllers for many years, and I've never accidentally locked a controller until I messed with the AVR. Those stupid fuse bits. Why call them fuses? They're configuration bits. I've also never been happy with Arduino. For someone getting started it's fine, but I like having lower level control to my bits.

As far as capabilities, your right the AVR and PIC line of processors are very similar. I just prefer PIC's.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my code today. I'll post it later today. I'd like to see what others make of it. Hopefully catch any mistakes I've made.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camaro For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (01-20-2022)
Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #4779 (permalink)
EcoModder

The endless problem of which is the best micro!
I know the answer: Its the one that has the functions you need, you have all the tools for and know how to write programs for.
I've been using both Atmel and Microchip for quite a while and they both have good and bad points. I couldn't find an Atmel 8 pin device with both a UART and 4 ADC channels, but Microchip have such a beast and that's what I needed so my latest project (Cell top BMS) is using a PIC12F1822.
Camaro (05-22-2011), mpgmike (01-20-2022)
Old 05-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #4780 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Agreed, I'm not saying Microchip is better, its just what I'm using.
Speaking of which, I've got revision 1 of my controller code done. It should be attached. I've also attached photos of my setup testing it. It works, but its definitely not done.
Please give me comments on my code. It's probably not written the best but I try and make it understandable.

I do have questions about the thermal resistor and the current sensor. What's the volts per degree and volts per amp for the two sensors? Looking at the data sheet for the LEM HASS 300 it looks like 0.625 v/a

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	8434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	8435  
Attached Files
File Type: zip HighPowerController.zip (2.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: zip HighPowerController (2).zip (436 Bytes, 62 views)
File Type: zip Functions.zip (3.1 KB, 59 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camaro For This Useful Post:
deodeo (04-20-2012), dneale (06-22-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread