View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #72 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottoriou View Post
I havent done sufficient testing to say that these gains are proven but previous to this spoiler my best average was 47.5 mpg. I ran two ABA tests early this morning before the wind picked up each one was 30 miles long total. I get my car up to 60 on the interstate and hit cruise and then reset my scangauge. Today my average over those two runs was 51 mpg. This spoiler sticks out 10 inches from my rear decklid.
This looks pretty good, a little more stealthy than what I have contemplated. Thanks. It could significantly change what I try on my car. Could you describe your test method and results in more detail? It would be helpful. Are you saying you got something like your old 47.5mpg during the test when you took off the spoiler? Was it on the A runs or on the B run? Oh!! And what is this spoiler made of, how is it secured (bolted?), and does it have supports on the underside? What angle is it set at?

EDIT: okay... I see the angle in the second shot.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.