View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #89 (permalink)
jedi_sol
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiderfish View Post
Great work here. Your Del-Sol looks slick! Those MPG numbers are fantastic!

What did you use on the underbelly? I thought I read chloroplast, but then it looks like you heat shrank it to ft the form of the under-body. Is that true? Did you go back in and cover the holes for the exhaust? I know it's pricey, but you could wrap the exhaust with that insulator that will keep the heat trapped in the pipes, and then out the back. Thus keeping your engine bay cooler, and protecting the chloroplast. Keep up the good work!

PS is there any way you can re-post the old pictures? Their links are broken. (Damn photobucket!)
Thanks! I actually got a "thumbs up" on the freeway yesterday.

The underbelly is made out of coroplast. The outside edges (front bumper, side skirts, rear bumper) are all screwed in using self tapping screws. The "inner" parts of the underbelly are held on using a combination of "Hanger straps" and self tapping screws. No special heat shrinking used, just good old "eyeball/cut/screw" method.

(Oatey 3/4 in. x 10 ft. Copper Coated Steel Hanger Strap - 33918 at The Home Depot).

No, the exhaust is still exposed. However, the coroplast directly underneath the transmission has melted and warped. So i need to go back under there and replace that section with aluminum flashing.

as far as the older pictures, its nothing special.
Battery relocation in the trunk/replaced with deep cycle battery:

Inner bubble mirror:

Rear skirt planning/construction:

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html

Last edited by jedi_sol; 05-27-2011 at 07:40 PM..