View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Lazy Custom Baby Bicycle trailer

My wife loves biking, but hasn't done any since having the baby (this past October)

I pulled our bikes out of storage a couple days ago, but without either a babysitter or some way to bring the baby with, they aren't going to be very useful.

I was looking around at rummage sales and thrift stores for a bicycle trailer, but couldn't find any. At the big box store, a bike trailer is $100 on sale
I probably have enough weird spare parts kicking around that I could BUILD a bike trailer, but I am so busy with other things right now that I don't really have the time for it.

The other day, I was talking to my new friend Justin while installing new tires on the electric motorcycle. He had a semi-junked bicycle trailer kicking around and just gave it to me.

It's not a trailer that would actually hold a small child in its current form - just a frame and 2 wheels.

Our baby car seat has a removable base, designed to be left in the car, just seat-belted in place.

I modified the bike trailer frame by adding two cross supports, bolted down with u-bolts. The car seat base rests directly on those supports. I then used a ratchet strap (in place of a seat belt) to pin the base down to the frame.

Then, we just put the baby in her car seat, (complete with 5-point harness) and snap it into the base on the trailer.

Worked pretty well first time out!

The handle on the car seat acts as a roll bar, and it already has a folding shade top.

I may still add an additional roll bar, and maybe a little windshield. Pretty fast/lazy/easy way to build a child bike trailer!

Here's some photos!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Nevyn (06-01-2011), Ryland (10-11-2011)