View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #214 (permalink)
Kodak
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Garmin ecoRoute experience

I used decided to use my Garmin's ecoRoute feature the other day, since I needed the GPS for directions anyway. The roads were new to me, so I know that I didn't predict stops as well and naturally had no transition points to reference. Still, I used DWL the best I could.

I suspect that the Garmin does not register engine load since it's not an OBDII product (just a GPS), so it would probably count cruise control as better for one's final score, even though DWL uses less fuel. It even says "Maximize your driving challenge score...by accelerating/decelerating smoothly and maintaining a constant speed."

It gives you a grade (I think 0-100) for acceleration and deceleration, as well as a final score. Plus, it has a tips section for ways to improve - mainly the fundamentals. I scored mid 80's on two trips and a high 70 on the other.

According to ecoRoute I totaled 23.9mpg on the day.The program requires city and highway mpg to be entered, so I figure it just uses these two values to estimate your mpg based on a formula.

I just filled up, and the tank ended up with 25.1 mpg. This tank had a lot of quasi-city driving on it and some hard acceleration.

ecoRoute is not an instantaneous display, but I think it could be effective for beginners to try to beat their score if they consistently travel the same route to work or school. Overall, it's probably not terribly precise, but it was fun to use nonetheless since the device was on anyway.