Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #211 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Now that was a good morning commute. I got in the car this morning and there were a little over 300 miles on the tank, with the car reading 27.9 MPG so far (all the Massholes had to clog our roads on Friday night). Since I'm going on a trip tomorrow I've got the big roof box on and I was dreading what I'd see on the gauges. Compounding that was the late start that I got.

The box isn't too bad for normal driving. Pre-hypermiling I figured it cost me 1 MPG or so, pretty impressive for something that large. I figured it would have a worse effect now, especially since I was in a rush but I was wrong. After just under 45 miles this morning the car's back up to showing 28.5 for the tank! Pre-hypermiling with last friday's traffic and this morning's sprint with the box I'd be lucky to have 19 MPG on this tank. Of course a "sprint" today tops out where "regular commute with the cruise on" used to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #212 (permalink)
The Fit is MPGo!

Blue - '07 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
90 day: 42.71 mpg (US)

Hot Rod - '84 GMC C1500
Man! Most of you guys are blowing my Fit away with those 50 - 60 mpgs!

This weekend I went up Brady Mountain to Lake Ouachita, which is a very steep windy road. I wanted to play with the paddle shifters and forget about hypermiling for a day. So I drove this piss out of her up and down the mountain... much to my surprise I still averaged 37mpg on that tank of gas.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #213 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
Started the day with per tank reading of 5.0L/100km [47mpg] on the scanguage II, by the time I had to fill up I had got it down to 4.6L/100km, mostly hyway driving . I am doing some EOC on long down hill sections and selecting secondary roads with almost no traffic, so I can keep the speed down around 80km/hr. And like Fat Charlie, even when I'm in a hurry I still hyper mile! Like some others have said, I think hypermiling makes me a safer driver because I am paying more attention to whats going on, looking for opportunities to save a little fuel...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #214 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Garmin ecoRoute experience

I used decided to use my Garmin's ecoRoute feature the other day, since I needed the GPS for directions anyway. The roads were new to me, so I know that I didn't predict stops as well and naturally had no transition points to reference. Still, I used DWL the best I could.

I suspect that the Garmin does not register engine load since it's not an OBDII product (just a GPS), so it would probably count cruise control as better for one's final score, even though DWL uses less fuel. It even says "Maximize your driving challenge score...by accelerating/decelerating smoothly and maintaining a constant speed."

It gives you a grade (I think 0-100) for acceleration and deceleration, as well as a final score. Plus, it has a tips section for ways to improve - mainly the fundamentals. I scored mid 80's on two trips and a high 70 on the other.

According to ecoRoute I totaled 23.9mpg on the day.The program requires city and highway mpg to be entered, so I figure it just uses these two values to estimate your mpg based on a formula.

I just filled up, and the tank ended up with 25.1 mpg. This tank had a lot of quasi-city driving on it and some hard acceleration.

ecoRoute is not an instantaneous display, but I think it could be effective for beginners to try to beat their score if they consistently travel the same route to work or school. Overall, it's probably not terribly precise, but it was fun to use nonetheless since the device was on anyway.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #215 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
I left a little early today and was able to beat the normal rush hour. When I arrived at the first stoplight, 21.4 miles into my commute my average mpg was 66.7 on my SGII. Unfortunately, the five minutes of stop and go driving to get me to the office brought the average down to 58.8mpg. Not bad, but not record setting. It did bring the tank average up to 40.1mpg, so things are looking good about 180 miles into the tank.

I picked up a new free Android App called Waze. Uses other users speeds to alert you to upcoming traffic conditions and make alternate route suggestions. It also allows users to flag accidents, speed traps, and stop and go traffic with the touch of a button and a pull down menu. So far it's saved me twice in re-routing me around really bad traffic jams, however, some of the route suggestions are poorly thought out. They look at average speeds without looking at stop lights on a particular roadway, so it's not the perfect weapon for hypermiling, but it is just another tool to reduce your idle time.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #216 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
127 mile trip on rural roads, which included 50 miles highway@64mph (cruise set by GPS, 61MPH indicated), 70 miles with 9 occupants, avg 17.25mpg in a 2008 GMC Savanna.

Weight of passengers and cargo, approx 2100lbs.

Indicated avg speed 41.4mph

Idle time approx 15 min.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #217 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
It even says "Maximize your driving challenge score...by accelerating/decelerating smoothly and maintaining a constant speed."

It gives you a grade (I think 0-100) for acceleration and deceleration, as well as a final score. Plus, it has a tips section for ways to improve - mainly the fundamentals. I scored mid 80's on two trips and a high 70 on the other.
It's very dumb though.
Ecoroute will detract points if you drive too slow.
Or if you slow down uphill and speed up downhill.
Pretty daft considering it does have GPS heigth data, it should detract points if you keep your speed uphill.

Quote:
According to ecoRoute I totaled 23.9mpg on the day.The program requires city and highway mpg to be entered, so I figure it just uses these two values to estimate your mpg based on a formula.
It just calculates where you're driving for how long, and what mileage you'd get on that sort of road.
If you're a very consistent driver and put in the right values, you'll get the right results - it's like filling in last week's winning lottery numbers and hoping to win the next draw.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #218 (permalink)
Fhqwhgads

Vibe o' the Ozarks - '07 Pontiac Vibe
90 day: 31.22 mpg (US)
Well, I ran all over the place in SW MO for tornado cleanup, visiting friends and family. FE was definitely not priority, but still managed 29 mpg.

BUT, the highway drive back home gave me almost 38mpg.

"Price is what the person pays. Cost is what society pays, here, now, elsewhere and into the future." Natural Capitalism
Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #219 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I'm back from the family trip to NYC and just logged my two worst tanks since coming here- 22.48 and 22.88. Before I started hypermiling I would have thought of those as better than average commuting tanks. Now I'm impressed: fully loaded with the family and the roof box, using the AC, fighting Manhattan and Long Island traffic and dodging Massachusetts tornadoes, I beat what I used to get without any of that on my commute. I wasn't even aggressively hypermiling- no P&G, almost no drafting and limited downhill gliding. The amusing bit was that packed with people and stuff, my car could pass people on downhill glides. I did the trip without using Torque because the bluetooth eats my phone's battery, but from my brief time having an engine load gauge I've gotten a lot better at using as little as possible and the car's instant MPG display is now a good enough cue.

The real feel good part came this morning when I got to work. I had taken the box and crossbars off the car before heading out, and the tank had 150 miles on it at 24.2 MPG. When I got to work 43 miles later the tank was up to 25.8 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #220 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I'm back from the family trip to NYC and just logged my two worst tanks since coming here- 22.48 and 22.88. Before I started hypermiling I would have thought of those as better than average commuting tanks. Now I'm impressed: fully loaded with the family and the roof box, using the AC, fighting Manhattan and Long Island traffic and dodging Massachusetts tornadoes, I beat what I used to get without any of that on my commute. I wasn't even aggressively hypermiling- no P&G, almost no drafting and limited downhill gliding. The amusing bit was that packed with people and stuff, my car could pass people on downhill glides. I did the trip without using Torque because the bluetooth eats my phone's battery, but from my brief time having an engine load gauge I've gotten a lot better at using as little as possible and the car's instant MPG display is now a good enough cue.

The real feel good part came this morning when I got to work. I had taken the box and crossbars off the car before heading out, and the tank had 150 miles on it at 24.2 MPG. When I got to work 43 miles later the tank was up to 25.8 MPG.
I like to call the LIE on a weekend Hell on earth or just Long Island in general. Then again there are no roads you can do a steady speed on in a 50 mile radius of that area. I learned to ride my motorcycle when going out that way so you get to use the express lane during the week only problem is with the dead bugs being impacted into my dress pants dry cleaning bill is inreased

Last time I wanted to do a weekend getaway to Providence after a 6 hour traffic jam to go 30 miles I turned around and went home.

Good to hear you made it past the twisters in Mass unbelievable that they were there and sad to see they really messed up the place

1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*

Reply  Post New Thread