View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #69 (permalink)
TomO
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Inspiration comes in many forms, my latest inspiration was in the form of an ignorant Expedition driver that foolishly backed into my car, splitting my aerobumper.

I've since repaired the crack using plastic fusion welding. The impact did upset the foam/fiberglass jelly block in the middle of the bumper as well. I have decided to redo the bumper for a third time, this time, using plastic fusion welding for the entire bumper. It will essentially look like the previous versions with the exception of being lighter and I will have the entire bumper smoothed over with only a pattern of holes to allow air into the radiator channel I have. I will update with pics as I work on this project a bit at a time.

you can see where the crack has been repaired along the upper flat portion of the bumper as well as the cut I have made for the piece of TPO that I will be welding in for the passenger side fog light recess:

I will have a couple more hours tonight to devote to this project and hope to get the rest of the aerobumper cut out and the replacement pieces cut to fill in. Then get to welding this weekend!

The big difference in doing the aerobumper this way is that if it does get damaged again, a few minutes with my plastic welder and it can be fixed again, instead of removing fiberglass jelly and having to sand for hours and then paint again.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For This Useful Post:
Christ (06-01-2011)