Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #61 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaspirit View Post
nice

did you get that garage seal lip from the site I posted?

because it looks the same

post some closer pics of the lip (did you use tape or screws?)
I got it from the 8thgen civic Forum, and I believe it was the link you posted. I couldn't see the pics from work so I had to wait until I got home so I could see the pics. Once I saw them I realized that the seal lip would be perfect for the winter time here. Thanks!

I'll get some closer pics this week. I used the 3M double sided tape.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #62 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
yeah i was wondering how well the tape holds up

it seems to do a good job but its hot here and adhesives eventually "melt" off
Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #63 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Ok, I can't leave well enough alone....cause I don't think it's well enough, lol.

I found someone selling conveyor belt rubber on eBay HERE and I will be purchasing a 4" wide 1/8" thick roll to make a rubber version of the FiberEdge Lip for use during winter. Unfortunately it's a 50' long roll. I guess I'll have to make a few lips for some of my friends
I believe the duromter rating on the material is sufficient to flex well and still be able to retain its shape...can anyone confirm this that knows more about durometer ratings?

The brackets will be recycled from the FiberEdge Lip but cut down so there is only one bolt holding on the rubber per bracket. This will allow the Lip to still hang down nice and low, but will also allow the rubber to move out of the way when it hits something.

I can't wait until payday now, lol.

I've always wanted/was inspired by Rubber Racing Lip.com but cost was prohibitive (about $150 IIRC)

UPDATE:
So after some internet searching the Durometer rating of 60-65 for this product is similar to a rubber tire which should be perfect. PDF info here

I'm thinking with 50' of this stuff that I could draw up templates for the brackets and send off the instructions along with a long enough (6.5' for 2dr and 3dr civics from 92-95) chuck of rubber to make your own lip if you wanted.

I made the FiberEdge lip using a hacksaw, drill, 1/4" drill bit, 1/4" machine head screws and 1/4" nuts, and a vice and rubber mallet (for bending the brackets) and aluminum 1/8" thick 1" wide by 2' long flat stock bought from Home Depot.

The initial cost for the flat stock, bolts, and FiberEdge was $40, but that was for 16' of Fiberedge (enough to make two full lips) the Fiberedge was the expensive part, costing $33.

I'd like to know who else would be interested in getting the instructions and some rubber from me. PM would be best.

Last edited by TomO; 09-23-2009 at 02:02 PM..
Old 10-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am interested please for a 92 civic hatchback

I am interested please for a 92 civic hatchback

334-828-1024
Old 10-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Zed - '11 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 43.91 mpg (US)
Your VX kind of reminds me of another Honda I have seen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	civic_racer.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	6976

I like your great stuff foam idea. I have been trying to find a way to smooth out my grill block, as of now it is sunk in, but everything I have tried looks tacky. Yours definately does not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cortez For This Useful Post:
TomO (06-01-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #66 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I really love the "cleaned" bumper, in Belgium and also a few vw fans in the netherlands, shave nearly all the body part for the looks.
But aerodynamic it's also benifisial (most times).
Cleaned.be V3.0
The Following User Says Thank You to beer For This Useful Post:
TomO (06-01-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #67 (permalink)
brain party

88 toyota pick up - '88 toyota 1-ton truck
90 day: 39.79 mpg (US)
looks good. are those Porsche wheels?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #68 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah thats right, the trend is also to use closed rims, like the poche gullideckels
Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #69 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Inspiration comes in many forms, my latest inspiration was in the form of an ignorant Expedition driver that foolishly backed into my car, splitting my aerobumper.

I've since repaired the crack using plastic fusion welding. The impact did upset the foam/fiberglass jelly block in the middle of the bumper as well. I have decided to redo the bumper for a third time, this time, using plastic fusion welding for the entire bumper. It will essentially look like the previous versions with the exception of being lighter and I will have the entire bumper smoothed over with only a pattern of holes to allow air into the radiator channel I have. I will update with pics as I work on this project a bit at a time.

you can see where the crack has been repaired along the upper flat portion of the bumper as well as the cut I have made for the piece of TPO that I will be welding in for the passenger side fog light recess:

I will have a couple more hours tonight to devote to this project and hope to get the rest of the aerobumper cut out and the replacement pieces cut to fill in. Then get to welding this weekend!

The big difference in doing the aerobumper this way is that if it does get damaged again, a few minutes with my plastic welder and it can be fixed again, instead of removing fiberglass jelly and having to sand for hours and then paint again.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For This Useful Post:
Christ (06-01-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #70 (permalink)
That VX guy!

UPDATE:
I got the other side cut last night:

Then got the new plugs cut and tacked in:

It took some time to form the plugs to the curves found on the Civic bumper, but worked out well in the end, the middle piece should be an interesting challenge since it's so much bigger.

I probably won't get to cutting the middle section and tacking that until this weekend, then hopefully find some time to finish the welding process (on both sides) sometime soon after that. The actual welding process takes the longest since I use a soldering iron to "stitch" the two pieces together and since my cuts weren't precise I have some gaps to fill, the I go over the welds on the visible side with a large flat tab on a soldering gun to smooth the "stitches" out. Then I will need to sand the welds (and the rest of the paint off) the bumper and use some glazing putty to fill in any imperfections that I find. Then I can finally paint the bumper.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-02-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread