View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #384 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Did somebody say cheese?
That cheese doesn't look like Wensleydale to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Tea bags? Thought that was sacrilege...
In days gone by yes, in those days when on missionary work abroad you had to pack for travel, or carry one of these

Today our top boffins, in between inventing the Mini, Concorde, Railways and other utter commercial failures, have spent literally ones of £s researching the tea bag and these days they are remarkable devices of convenience and if used correctly can produce a fine tasting cuppa.

Not all of us have the time this guy has...

Although I do like a nicely made pot myself.

Quote:
Yet somehow you manage to turn it into a foul & bitter brew...
Only if you use the incorrect blend / brand or if you allow it to brew for too long - the dreaded stewed tea which is no use to anyone. When I asked for tea in Starbucks in NY I would get this kind of tea, usually a litre or more of the stuff instead of a nice sized mug.

Quote:
Different thing entirely. I'd liken it more to putting milk in beer - just the thought makes me want to gag.
Not really, both are blended and brewed hot drinks and both have a level of bitterness which can, in part, be softened with added milk, or cream. Apparently it started in 1860.

Quote:
You think the US doesn't have proper cheeses? Just because some fraction (admittedly not a small one :-() lacks taste, and chooses that horrible processed stuff instead?
Couldn't find any over there, however that could have been down to the people we were with - their idea of fresh food was pizza that was still warm when delivered, and anything involving leaves, peeling or cutting was to be avoided.

I had to sneak an occasional orange to keep the scurvy at bay.

On our way to a day out at a lake we trundled through a small town in MN and there was a bakery - real genuine baking bread, queue out of the door. But they gave me a very strange look when I suggested we go there for freshly baked bread for our day out instead of the processed supermarket muck we had.

Back on topic Diesel has eased a little here to 135p-ish a litre at the garages I pass each morning.