Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #381 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Anyway, at least we have proper cheeses, not just a generic nationwide brand...
Did somebody say cheese?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wallace_gromit_cheese.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	8586  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #382 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
We have been known to bring tea bags with us when we visit the colonies.
Tea bags? Thought that was sacrilege...

Quote:
In simple terms, there is a British Standard (like IEEE) standard on how to make proper tea, we put it into boiling water, let it brew and then filter out the bits. I'm confused as to how this is more cruel than making chinese or japanese tea...
Yet somehow you manage to turn it into a foul & bitter brew...

Quote:
Its a personal preference, some people do, some don't - just like some take coffee with milk or cream and some don't.
Different thing entirely. I'd liken it more to putting milk in beer - just the thought makes me want to gag.

Quote:
Anyway, at least we have proper cheeses, not just a generic nationwide brand...
You think the US doesn't have proper cheeses? Just because some fraction (admittedly not a small one :-() lacks taste, and chooses that horrible processed stuff instead?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #383 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...just remember! There's a BIG difference between "...moving..." someone's cheese and "...cutting..." the cheese.
Either way, there's stink involved!

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #384 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Did somebody say cheese?
That cheese doesn't look like Wensleydale to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Tea bags? Thought that was sacrilege...
In days gone by yes, in those days when on missionary work abroad you had to pack for travel, or carry one of these

Today our top boffins, in between inventing the Mini, Concorde, Railways and other utter commercial failures, have spent literally ones of £s researching the tea bag and these days they are remarkable devices of convenience and if used correctly can produce a fine tasting cuppa.

Not all of us have the time this guy has...

Although I do like a nicely made pot myself.

Quote:
Yet somehow you manage to turn it into a foul & bitter brew...
Only if you use the incorrect blend / brand or if you allow it to brew for too long - the dreaded stewed tea which is no use to anyone. When I asked for tea in Starbucks in NY I would get this kind of tea, usually a litre or more of the stuff instead of a nice sized mug.

Quote:
Different thing entirely. I'd liken it more to putting milk in beer - just the thought makes me want to gag.
Not really, both are blended and brewed hot drinks and both have a level of bitterness which can, in part, be softened with added milk, or cream. Apparently it started in 1860.

Quote:
You think the US doesn't have proper cheeses? Just because some fraction (admittedly not a small one :-() lacks taste, and chooses that horrible processed stuff instead?
Couldn't find any over there, however that could have been down to the people we were with - their idea of fresh food was pizza that was still warm when delivered, and anything involving leaves, peeling or cutting was to be avoided.

I had to sneak an occasional orange to keep the scurvy at bay.

On our way to a day out at a lake we trundled through a small town in MN and there was a bakery - real genuine baking bread, queue out of the door. But they gave me a very strange look when I suggested we go there for freshly baked bread for our day out instead of the processed supermarket muck we had.

Back on topic Diesel has eased a little here to 135p-ish a litre at the garages I pass each morning.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #385 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Only if you use the incorrect blend / brand or if you allow it to brew for too long - the dreaded stewed tea which is no use to anyone.
I must have fallen into bad company, then, because your description seems to fit every cup of tea I had in Britain.

Quote:
Not really, both are blended and brewed hot drinks and both have a level of bitterness which can, in part, be softened with added milk, or cream.
I dunno... My idea of proper tea - Chinese/Japanese green tea, basically - is scarcely bitter at all.

Quote:
Couldn't find any over there, however that could have been down to the people we were with - their idea of fresh food was pizza that was still warm when delivered, and anything involving leaves, peeling or cutting was to be avoided.
Yeah, I've known people like that. And the worst part is that that's their idea of fancy. Normal is to open a package of chips (American usage of word, of course) and a can of soda.

Quote:
On our way to a day out at a lake we trundled through a small town in MN and there was a bakery - real genuine baking bread, queue out of the door. But they gave me a very strange look when I suggested we go there for freshly baked bread for our day out instead of the processed supermarket muck we had.
These days even the local WalMart has an in-store bakery that turns out some pretty decent breads. But they still sell an awful lot of that sliced white stuff.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #386 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
ASDA is the UK equivalent of Wally World in the US, correct?

Do they have the in store deli, bakery, etc?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #387 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I got 50 miles per tea bag today.

regards
Mech
Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #388 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
US$6.90 per US gallon (1.26€ per liter) for diesel yesterday and today. Two weeks ago I paid $6.50, but at a slightly cheaper fuel station.
The price of oil has dipped lately, but the złoty's value has been jumping around too, so in effect fuel stations used that small chaos as an excuse to raise prices.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 06-02-2011 at 03:06 PM..
Old 06-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #389 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
ASDA is the UK equivalent of Wally World in the US, correct? Do they have the in store deli, bakery, etc?
Yep, Asda is Walmart. They came to compete against Tesco which is the no.1 store here and have made no difference at all in 5 years. Also yep all supermarkets here have a bakery, deli and a pie (savoury pastry) counter for your lunchtime lard / pastry needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I got 50 miles per tea bag today.
If you had taken the time to make a proper pot, warming it first you could have got 60.

Anyway, enough tea...

Old 06-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #390 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...where's that blatantly "non-political" sign, "DO NOT FEED THE MONKEYS," when you need it?
They misspelled it to read "DO NOT FEED THE DONKEYS", and political banter ensued.

Reply  Post New Thread