View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
JohnS
MIT (Modder In Training)

FuguMobile - '01 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 24.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by md7989 View Post
Thanks for sharing the news. I'm thinking about this on my '05 Accord V6 5AT but these 98-100 degree temps this week are making me think otherwise...lol, at least until after summer. I do plan on looking into a bellypan type piece from the front bumper lip back to the front axle.
MD - I wanted to experiment with a grille block also, but was a little worried about the same thing going into summer. I just spent a couple of bucks for some of that blue painter's tape and laid strips of it vertically across the front of my upper grille. If I started to run too hot, I figured I could just pull over and easily take it off. As it turns out, even with temps in the 88* to 92* here over the last week or so my engine temp only gained a few degrees (from a normal 184* to 192* at worst).

Go for it and see what happens. The worst you can be out is the cost of the tape.

Hint: I attached my tape in vertical strips from each outermost side and worked my way to the middle with a slight overlap on each strip. That way if your engine temp gets a little too high for you, you can just pull off a couple of strips from the middle to get a little more cooling. (I can't take credit for this, I read it elsewhere here on the forum. It was just easier to relate the info than try to search for who was the original poster.)

My bet is that you'll be just fine with the front grille completely taped. When you are satisfied that there's no danger, you can go ahead and make a more permanent block. That's my strategy going forward.

Good luck!
John