View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #179 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
PW - apologies for jumping in again to ask questions - before the intake changes did you record before and after intake temps ? Do you monitor them now and if so what do you get ?
My intake temperature sensor is before the turbo, so it doesn't register any change between blocked and unblocked intercooler. As for blocking the hole between radiator and intake scoop - it's too early to tell, but I doubt that I'd notice. This is because the intake duct snakes around the engine like a heat exchanger, good if it was a gasser and I wanted a WAI, but since it's a diesel I wonder about the sanity of PSA's engineers More details here: More efficient air intake (1.6HDi) - ideas.

What really increased engine and intake temperatures was the upper grille block and engine insulation.

Nichols735: Just the lower grille block doesn't effect coolant temps when driving in flat terrain - it stays at 78°C. Adding the upper grille block kept temperatures closer to 88°-92°C, with ambient temps at or below freezing.
Driving uphill brings the temps up (85°-95°C) and then I open the lower grille block.
I hardly ever hear my fan turn on (only when the A/C is on), but this is what happens when you hypermile a turbodiesel

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread