View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #291 (permalink)
ianbartie
VW Polo EV

I'll do something like your battery suggestion or stick a voltage divider across the variable output of my supply. Have to take the kids to netball shortly so the car will have to wait a while.
The new pump is a VBS pump kit from YT Stabletech in Taiwan. A few places in the US sell them. I have not given it a test yet 'cause I still doing the new rubber mounts, new wiring & new hoses. Was a whole redesign job but I think it will be worth it.
I'll put some pics up on my web site this afternoon.
I found the Thomas pump to be very, very noisy & fairly slow in sucking down the vacuum. Would take 7.5 seconds initially & then run for 2.5 seconds every brake press.
These new pumps are 40dB and are really fast. They are a rotary vane type instead of a reciprocating diaphram type. They run for less than a second on a brake press & take just a couple of seconds for initial suck down.
They do draw 35A but when I worked out the watt/seconds that both the Thomas (8A) & the VBS drew, the VBS only draws 1.5 times the power of the Thomas because it is so fast.

Freyguy (06-03-2011)