View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #141 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The raised lid (partly built) is almost three inches above the current trunklid and has a flat spoiler that extends to almost the end of the bumper. Accomplishing a really snug fit to the window and sides is difficult if I am to retain use of the trunk. A functioning trunk and visibility out the back window are essential. I'm wondering about fitting those rubber insulators used to seal household doorjambs into these gaps for the "snugness" that produces dead air under the raised lid.
I've been thinking about these too.

For rear visibility - I think one could angle the spoiler downward, so that from the center mirror's viewpoint, it sees just the edge of the spoiler. I think the resulting downslope will be OK if it starts at the rear glass or comes close to it. If building a spoiler that's just a few inches front to rear, located over the rear trunk edge, that slope might cause lift.

Ideally, I'd like to first find the ideal height for the spoiler's rear edge, even with the bumper. Then adjust the forward edge up as needed for good visibility via the mirror.