View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #220 (permalink)
NHRABill
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I'm back from the family trip to NYC and just logged my two worst tanks since coming here- 22.48 and 22.88. Before I started hypermiling I would have thought of those as better than average commuting tanks. Now I'm impressed: fully loaded with the family and the roof box, using the AC, fighting Manhattan and Long Island traffic and dodging Massachusetts tornadoes, I beat what I used to get without any of that on my commute. I wasn't even aggressively hypermiling- no P&G, almost no drafting and limited downhill gliding. The amusing bit was that packed with people and stuff, my car could pass people on downhill glides. I did the trip without using Torque because the bluetooth eats my phone's battery, but from my brief time having an engine load gauge I've gotten a lot better at using as little as possible and the car's instant MPG display is now a good enough cue.

The real feel good part came this morning when I got to work. I had taken the box and crossbars off the car before heading out, and the tank had 150 miles on it at 24.2 MPG. When I got to work 43 miles later the tank was up to 25.8 MPG.
I like to call the LIE on a weekend Hell on earth or just Long Island in general. Then again there are no roads you can do a steady speed on in a 50 mile radius of that area. I learned to ride my motorcycle when going out that way so you get to use the express lane during the week only problem is with the dead bugs being impacted into my dress pants dry cleaning bill is inreased

Last time I wanted to do a weekend getaway to Providence after a 6 hour traffic jam to go 30 miles I turned around and went home.

Good to hear you made it past the twisters in Mass unbelievable that they were there and sad to see they really messed up the place
1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*