View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #4847 (permalink)
adamj12b
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Well Today there was a causality. Tonight I was trying to figure out why the controller in my golf cart was acting up. Well as it turns out, A bolt that holdes the heat sink to the case came loose and caused the controller to rock back and forth. In doing so, it kept shorting out and stressing something. There is actually a chunk missing of the case from where it was shorting.

Here is a graph of controller operation before I found the short.

You can see that current is in the range of 133A with 0 throttle....Something wasn't right.

Well once I found the short, and corrected it, I took the car for a ride. It went great for about 5 minutes. The I heard the dreaded pop. I look back at the controller and there was some smoke. At first I didnt realize what it was, thinking it was a cap, as that s what it sounded like. The it happened again. This time lurching the cart. Well I knew this was the end of the controller since I wasnt even driving hard. SO!! I decided to have some fun.

Ive been meaning to upgrade the batteries for some time, Just havnt gotten around to it. So I doug out my 2 Sears Diehard Platinum PM1 batteries and added them in series with the 6 - 6V batteries for 60V. I was able to get a speed test in before the controller got upset. I got it up to 30.4MPH!.

Well I kept driving to the end. A few more big pops and fizz's and I knew it was almost done. Thats when I took this!

It did not last quiet as long as I thought, but it really went out well.

[IMG]
Untitled by AdamBrunette, on Flickr[/IMG]

Untitled by AdamBrunette, on Flickr

Well now I can begin work on a new 2 IGBT 600A version. The logic board from this one is still good so I will transfer that over. I will be dissecting this one soon.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com