View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
I never rev matched on any car I drove, gasoline or diesel, and never heard about it before reading hypermiling forums.

Is it how old cars (older than late 70's) had to be driven or is it an hypermiling trick ?

May be when decelerating as the rev after the down shift is higher than before; noticeably when racing as the rev will be as high as possible to have more engine brake.

In fact the single time I hear about rev matching is when you want to drive a manual and the clutch doesn't work anymore...

TIA,

Denis.
I've never really heard the term much outside of hypermilers and riceboys. Hypermilers have to rev match because they're going into gear from neutral so much, while riceboys think it makes them sound more 1337 than simply saying "downshifting." But you've either been rev matching every shift or you've been using your clutch as a very expensive brake pad. It's something you automatically do when shifting normally, but it takes a lot of focus when hypermiling. There's no intuitive "just a little bit" of gas you can give it to match revs when you've been coasting at 800 RPM for the last minute. Now you need to watch your speed and figure out where you need to put your revs to get into the gear you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%