View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #56 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by apc View Post
dunno, I haven't been at all scientific about this. I've just done everything at once. aired up my tires past mfg spec, did the aero mods, and started frequently shifting to neutral with a lot of P&G. I've also been keeping my reps below ~1750 (which with 4.10 gearing means a top speed of 55). however, I filled up my tank when I first started making changes, did not top off, and at 150miles am just now bouncing around 1/4 tank down. normally I'd only be at 100miles by this point, so there's definitely been an overall significant improvement. maybe whenever I put in an MPG gauge I'll do some A-B-A and isolate specific mods.

reminds me, in your silverado, have you noticed the fuel gauge is unreliable? especially near empty, it fluctuates in a way that doesn't seem to correlate with fuel splash, although I've seen that too. what I've also found now is in neutral is will read a little different than while in drive. I know there's a common problem with the sending unit with these trucks that can cause a false empty, and that others have seen neutral involved, but have yet to come across an explanation for these particular variations.
Well, what sort of whole tank mileage were you getting before and now?

I haven't noticed that particular behavior, but these trucks have problems with the stepper motors in the gauges and really, ANY gauge can be off. Both my speedo and oil pressure gauges will read way off at times. Basically, the gauge loses track of it's zero point, so it will fluctuate normally, just while pointing at the wrong spot. i.e. I will be going 50mph and speed up to 60 mph and the speedo will read 90mph and go up to 100mph.

This is one of the reasons I bought an ultragauge. It can display most of my gauges and it's far cheaper than the $500 for a new cluster.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods