View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRun View Post
Its a '93 Civic Dx
Quoted for context. Larry's CRX below is a good comparison. His advice is spot-on and worth repeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
We are trying to help a raw beginner here! The advanced stuff might be a bit much at first.

My daily driver is an '87 Honda CRX. 1st gear just to get you rolling...2nd to 3rd at around 15mph...into 4th 22-25mphish.... into 5th by 30mph on downhill or level roads, if I'm slightly accelerating to approach a slight hill, I might wait on 5th until 35mph.

You are on your own on hills... from your motorcycle, just remember not to let it bog down. For the most part....forget about downshifting... go into neutral.. practice coasting toward stoplights, and signs, as much as following traffic will allow. You MUST learn to MIRROR DRIVE a lot to help yourself set up your next best move!

Try to find good 30-45mph. roads in your area to take that have the fewest stop/light/signs... just work on being Smooooooth!!!

Try to use the brakes hardly at all.... anticipate traffic problems ahead, so you are never surprised into having to brake hard.

rpms.... most of my upshifting is between 1,200 and 1,500...very mello. If you commute in a busy place during rush hrs, people behind you aren't going to appreciate your econo efforts! Be ready to back off perfection, or grow a hard turtle shell.

Don't go over 50-55mph anywhere if you can help it.

Think about bumping up your tires to maybe 5-7 psi above what the sidewall cold max. says on the tire. That's not too much to ride real rough, or wear the tires out too fast. It does mean to remember common sense to NOW go into wet corners a little slower than you used to....my latest idea for a bumper sticker would be this: Friends don't let friends do LATERAL SCRUB!!

Have fun and practice, practice, practice!!!!! Never use the clutch like a brake!!

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles