View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
glug
EcoModding Lurker

So, I'm a bit stuck on what I can do to improve this situation. An assumption is that lengthening the pulse duration will help with detection. I'm wondering how to do that. Halving the frequency with a flip-flop will help, but that will only get me to about 48mph - not nearly enough.

I will try increasing the supply voltage, but I'm not sure that will improve the mpguino pulse detection. There is also the gotcha of prototyping on an arduino and not having conditioned 12v to feed it. So I plan on testing it with a 9v to see whether the frequency capability can be increased. Though that does not seem to be the limitation. I eventually intend to dedicate an atmega to this, and free up the arduino. But only after it is working well.

If I had a signal generator and scope, I'd profile and document the capabiliy of the mpguino's VSS input. As Mike mentioned, that it isn't interrupt driven raises some questions about the capability. I did some testing with the arduino tone library, but the results weren't very encouraging. I need to revisit that (as well as developing better siggen capability), but it seems like a distraction from getting my mpguino working.