View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #290 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by actwithclarity View Post
During rush hour today they were closing a major highway under construction for 5 minute intervals to load gravel trucks on the middle of the road. There were 400 cars stuck up for basically no reason.
I have to echo the same sentiment. I took a drive from St. Louis to Chicago through Effingham, Illinois this week for work. On I-70-Eastbound, 10 miles before the lane closure, there was announcement of the left lane being closed. OK, I think we're ready, in the right lane. Then, everything STOPS for 40 minutes. 2.5 miles from the exit we needed, and traffic was stopped for miles with no movement. ISP kept the left lane clear, which I like, so nobody cuts in line, but for some reason NOTHING MOVED for a long time. Electronic message signs said "No Delay" to interchange. Right.

Then, after we finally did move, I saw no construction crew, nothing that would shut down an Interstate. Ugh. No humans moving or working, etc. etc.

On a good note, the new Ford Fusion SE 4-cylinder rental got about 30 mpg avg over ~1000 miles in very hot weather and a mix of heavy city driving with mostly highway travel. It's definitely a preferred rental vehicle, especially with the family tagging along (KC-Columbia-STL-Chicago-South Bend-Chicago).

-RH77

_
_