View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 04:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
How many times have we all witnessed lights that seem to be timed for maximum inconvenience i.e. there's totally nobody coming on the cross street that the light just made you stop and wait for... then after you've been there for an eternity with still no cross traffic, it changes just in time to make some poor sap that finally did just arrive at that intersection on the cross street stop??? It is as if someone is deriving perverse pleasure from making as many vehicles as possible stop.
I've got a street with those: At night the lights turn red just before the car enters the intersection. This is supposedly to stop people from racing. Yeah, right. Everyone just blows through the red without a second thought. The PSL is 70 km/h, I'm usually going 60-70 and have to pull my teeth out of the steering wheel at each light. If I go 40, then I sometimes roll through the light just as it turns green again. I've heard that going 160 will allow you to enter the intersect before the light goes red, I haven't checked, but others have. I have nothing against green waves as long as there is info about the speed I have to go to ride it. I don't take that route anymore.

Oh, and then there is another light on a road nearby: It blinks yellow until an approaching car going close to or above the 50km/h PSL turns it red. After a week everyone noticed that there is no intersection, no ped crossing, so no reason to stop when it's red. I have no problem with going 40-45 to keep the light from turning red, but I do have a problem with the drivers who pass me right in front of that light. They trigger the red, but keep going, while I have to wait.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread