View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
The final drive gear is the ring and pinion. None of the gears mate with that, so that isn't a concern.

The two shafts that the gears ride on may be different (different diameter, different splines) and that would mean you could not swap. I don't know if they are or not. I do know that you can swap the 5th gear around between D-series transmissions. The 2nd-gen CRX HF will have the tallest 5th gear, though I have read that it isn't a whole lot taller than the 5th from the later Civics. (Something like 0.704 to 0.712 ratio?)

The shop manual for my CRX talked about disassembling and reassembling the transmission. I also used a how-to article from the crxcommunity.com website when I took mine apart and put it back together again. (The input shaft bearing on these seems to die if you leave the oil level low for a long while.)

There is a guy called "Mista Bone" who hangs out on the CRX Community board and more than likely other boards that talk about Civics. He seems to be the D-series transmission guru, although he has some fairly backwards ideas about what makes for good fuel economy...

If your Civic has a B-series engine, I have no idea what will interchange.

-soD
Thanks guys for your responses. Intriguing to think a 2cd generation 2nd-gen CRX HF 5th gear could fit into my D series sixth gen transmission. Here's another related question, this time about the final gear ratio. My 2 door coupe has 4.034 listed as the final reduction, whereas sixth gen (96-98) Hatchback is listed as 3.722. That's better, no? Why don't more modders talk about swapping that? Bigger pain than its worth relative to the transmission swaps?
EDIT: both the hatch my coupe have the D16Y7 engine.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.