View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #52 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Because most people obey the limit most of the time, and they end up stopping at every light. It's very frustrating. In my area, for one route the only way to hit a string of lights is to exceed the limit by more than 10mph, that's not acceptable. It not only wastes fuel to try to hit the lights, but most people will not speed to make them, and slow everyone else down.

The person setting the timing on the lights should know better. I wonder what sort of education or thinking skills are required for traffic design.....
Another pet peeve? The idiocy of painting the stop line ten or twenty feet before the intersection. The law states you must stop at the stop line. But what good is it if you can't see traffic that might be approaching from the cross street? In effect it forces you to stop twice. And they wonder why people don't respect the law or want to stop at all? There are far too many stop signs, and the rationale for erecting more of them is often not that of making the roadway any safer. My favorite ones are the ones erected in the middle of the block. Why are they there? Usually because some mommy pressured a local politician to put up a stop sign so her brat kids can be entitled to play in the street. Or because someone wanted to reduce the volume of traffic on their block by dissuading drivers that would otherwise travel that route.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (06-17-2011), UFO (06-17-2011)