Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
you cannot drive faster than traffic - at least in legally (without passing red lights)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Because most people obey the limit most of the time, and they end up stopping at every light. It's very frustrating. In my area, for one route the only way to hit a string of lights is to exceed the limit by more than 10mph, that's not acceptable. It not only wastes fuel to try to hit the lights, but most people will not speed to make them, and slow everyone else down.

The person setting the timing on the lights should know better. I wonder what sort of education or thinking skills are required for traffic design.....
Another pet peeve? The idiocy of painting the stop line ten or twenty feet before the intersection. The law states you must stop at the stop line. But what good is it if you can't see traffic that might be approaching from the cross street? In effect it forces you to stop twice. And they wonder why people don't respect the law or want to stop at all? There are far too many stop signs, and the rationale for erecting more of them is often not that of making the roadway any safer. My favorite ones are the ones erected in the middle of the block. Why are they there? Usually because some mommy pressured a local politician to put up a stop sign so her brat kids can be entitled to play in the street. Or because someone wanted to reduce the volume of traffic on their block by dissuading drivers that would otherwise travel that route.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (06-17-2011), UFO (06-17-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

We have a few roads here that require you to go 10mph over the speed limit or stop at every single light, as well. I simply cannot understand the kind of engineer that designs a system like that.

On the highway, though, you don't have to put a sign or bumper on the back of your car--if someone's tailgating you inside the dead air zone behind your vehicle, they're preventing a vortex street from forming and helping your aerodynamic efficiency considerably.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #54 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khafra View Post
On the highway, though, you don't have to put a sign or bumper on the back of your car--if someone's tailgating you inside the dead air zone behind your vehicle, they're preventing a vortex street from forming and helping your aerodynamic efficiency considerably.
and in most states if you brake and they hit you, they're at fault. Just ask the moron in his rice rocket civic that met the trailer hitch on my Jeep.

NOTE: I'm in no way condoning the practice of brake-checking.

Last edited by Joenavy85; 07-02-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenavy85 View Post
and in most states if you brake and they hit you, they're at fault. Just ask the moron in his rice rocket civis that met the trailer hitch on my Jeep.

But if they're idiots, they're useful idiots--at least to me. If I weren't sure it'd be taken the wrong way, I'd get a bumper sticker asking people to please tailgate me on the freeway. Both of us would get improved gas mileage.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #56 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khafra View Post
But if they're idiots, they're useful idiots--at least to me. If I weren't sure it'd be taken the wrong way, I'd get a bumper sticker asking people to please tailgate me on the freeway. Both of us would get improved gas mileage.
I like it! Reverse psychology!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenavy85 View Post
and in most states if you brake and they hit you, they're at fault. Just ask the moron in his rice rocket civis that met the trailer hitch on my Jeep.

Yes, they are at fault. It's called tailgating, and it's unsafe as well as illegal.

If you are tailgating and you rear end someone, it is because you are traveling too damn close to them to be able to stop. And in that case you are not in control of your vehicle, which the law says is your obligation.

If you don't like being brake-checked, don't tailgate.

Personally, I don't like drivers who seem to brake for hallucinations. But usually there are warning signs from their driving behavior that they are on a trip other than a vehicular one, and they need to be avoided.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Big Bertha aka 2 Ton Tessi - '03 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
90 day: 20.4 mpg (US)
I really don't think the push idea will work, from a practical and a legal standpoint. If someone rear ends you, they pay for it, be that you invited it or not so I don't think anyone will even try it. Most will think its a joke, and if someone does do it, and they hit too hard, that's not just damage, that can be injury too. If you take it to court, and the Judge finds out you invited it, s/he may just hold you accountable to send others a message.

Not every idea will work, but that doesn't mean you won't come up with one that will, so never give up.

Reply  Post New Thread