View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sovereign
EcoModding Lurker

RAV4 - '16 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
Hypermiling the Highlander Hybrid

Some of you may remember my other thread in which I asked about the Highlander Hybrid. I wanted an Escape, but that turned out to be impossible--however the HiHy isn't too shabby. Remember, I have a 4x4 V6 (both factors which push fuel economy down).

I work in the Greater Boston area and live in the South Shore. To work (33 miles, includes A/C use when under 40MPH and music playing). Fresh tank of gas.

Average for the day (again includes A/C use when over 40MPH and music playing).

There is a good mix of 65MPH-to-parking-lot-to-30MPH-to-65MPH going on here, so it's like a combined cycle.

Driving to Boston from Chicago, I've noticed the computer runs about 0.5MPG too high. The fact that fuel station attendants top off can further mess with "hand calculations" done at the pump but all I have to do is make sure to get the reading when the pump stops BEFORE they top-off.

Short version: Real 30MPG+, from a BIG hybrid SUV with slightly worn batteries (42k miles when I bought it). This forum's members suggested that the HiHy is rather rare so I am sort of blazing a trail here.

The HiHy weighs in at 4244LBS while the Escape Hybrid clocks 3669LBS--a quarter-ton more.

Mods: My driving habits.

Planned Mods: Improving my use of the car's systems--I'm not going to physically do anything to it. Don't have the money or desire at this point. I'm also not going to sweat to death with no A/C, ever, like some hypermilers do.

6/21: Increased average economy to 32.5 (readout).

Last edited by Sovereign; 06-21-2011 at 08:03 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sovereign For This Useful Post:
Drifter (05-04-2022)