Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

RAV4 - '16 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
Hypermiling the Highlander Hybrid

Some of you may remember my other thread in which I asked about the Highlander Hybrid. I wanted an Escape, but that turned out to be impossible--however the HiHy isn't too shabby. Remember, I have a 4x4 V6 (both factors which push fuel economy down).

I work in the Greater Boston area and live in the South Shore. To work (33 miles, includes A/C use when under 40MPH and music playing). Fresh tank of gas.

Average for the day (again includes A/C use when over 40MPH and music playing).

There is a good mix of 65MPH-to-parking-lot-to-30MPH-to-65MPH going on here, so it's like a combined cycle.

Driving to Boston from Chicago, I've noticed the computer runs about 0.5MPG too high. The fact that fuel station attendants top off can further mess with "hand calculations" done at the pump but all I have to do is make sure to get the reading when the pump stops BEFORE they top-off.

Short version: Real 30MPG+, from a BIG hybrid SUV with slightly worn batteries (42k miles when I bought it). This forum's members suggested that the HiHy is rather rare so I am sort of blazing a trail here.

The HiHy weighs in at 4244LBS while the Escape Hybrid clocks 3669LBS--a quarter-ton more.

Mods: My driving habits.

Planned Mods: Improving my use of the car's systems--I'm not going to physically do anything to it. Don't have the money or desire at this point. I'm also not going to sweat to death with no A/C, ever, like some hypermilers do.

6/21: Increased average economy to 32.5 (readout).

Last edited by Sovereign; 06-21-2011 at 08:03 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sovereign For This Useful Post:
Drifter (05-04-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

First tank (used only for going to work and back): 30.44MPG. To the nay-sayers: nyah-nyah! Now to go for 35!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
Good job! : ) About the fueling up, couldn't you ask them not to top it up? It's better for your vehicle too if you don't fill it to the top. Just a thought...

Have fun getting to your goal of 35 MPG!! I know I am! : )
Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I can get 50MPG+ on the readout (I had 25 minutes of it this morning) if it's "slow but not quite stop-and-go." As I mentioned in my other thread, it's the literal stop-and-go that kills me. I'm wondering if 35MPG is possible in this car without some kind of mod. Still, 31-32 real MPG is nothing to laugh at.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
I'm assuming that your Highlander is an automatic seeing how nobody seems to mention a manual version. When you get going from a stop, try quickly lifting your foot off the throttle for a second so it shifts sooner. You will learn from experience at what RPMs your Toyota will be able to shift into higher gears. This has helped my MPG from a stop. But I try to avoid stopping fully anytime that I can. Red lights are easy to avoid stopping for, and I do California stops for stop signs or turns. Hopefully that doesn't bite me in the rear end someday. : )

I don't think 35 MPG is possible for me, unless I continue doing small mods. I'm trying to figure out a way to have a manually adjustable warm and cold air intake. The warm intake has been the biggest improvement for our MPG, and I have to have cold air when I go up the mountain that we live on. Problem is, I'm not an engineer, or great with electrical. But I can learn.
Are there triggers for your Highlander to switch over to electric that you could manipulate? That would probably help.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Don't worry about how they top it off different, record all the gas and the mpg will average out correctly, ignoring it you'll get false high mpg. Great numbers for 4x4 v6.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

'10 Kia Forte EX 2.0 - '10 Kia Forte EX
90 day: 37.29 mpg (US)
You'd probably get another MPG or so out of fully inflated tires or over inflated tires. That's one you can do without much trouble.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The HiHy is a CVT so there are no gears. There is something about manipulating the engine temp sensor because it's overly conservative. However, I'm not comfortable doing that in New England.

The tires were fully inflated for the drive out to MA from Chicago. It's only been warm here, but I can certainly check the pressure.

I raised the average over 245 miles to 32.9, the highest ever (32.4 real).
Old 07-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Today the roads were mostly clear instead of the usual stop-and-go. Staying at 60 or under (65 pulses to get up hills without accelerating), I can obtain highway economy in the range of 30MPG. This is where one deliberately makes use of "gas-electric combo," draining the battery with the understanding that it will recharge very quickly at these speeds through braking, coasting or just driving gas-only.

End result: I'd say with me at the wheel, it's fair to rate the 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited 4x4 at 32 city, 30 highway, 31 combined.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
Thats some nice numbers!!! Good job.

I am thoroughly impressed by those mpg's because we bought our 2006 Hybrid Highlander, 2wd V6, 4 months ago to replace our Suburban.

Our Highlander had about 111K on the odometer. I just looked at the "consumption" screen and it showed we have put 3760 miles on it and have gotten 22.8mpg. That pales in comparison to yours

But in our Highlander's defense....it is a basically a taxi. My wife is the main driver and her work commutes to her school are about 6 miles round trip, lots of taking kiddos to and from places in town also. Not awesome mpg's but we can live with it.

My questions to you are...
1 - Do you reset the "consumption" screen for each trip?
2 - Do you know if the system keeps track of overall lifetime mpg somewhere?

Thanks