View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floordford View Post
So do you think a flat drag style wing would accomplish the same thing? It might look more at home on the back of a Mustang anyhow. But it would make it look like a full on drag car. And I have thought about deleting the side scoops and testing with and without the fake hood scoop.
I wouldn't do that. I tried it. A flat Bonneville style spoiler, slightly angled up. I hit the template just fine. In an ABAB test I lost MPG. Note too that winkosmosis corrected the post you're quoting. Personally, I love the suggestions you are getting about working with a front air dam, undertray, and side false intake deletes... these are low fruit that will almost certainly generate gains without changing your clean ride's look much at all. Even if you keep the side intake body moldings, do the other things. Those mods are on my own list. If I had not gotten distracted into these time consuming tail-end projects, I might have done the airdam and rear under tray by now. One of the coolest things about these aeromods for a car like yours is you can tell folks who ask that they produce better FE without reducing horsepower and therefore also increase your car's top speed.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Floordford (06-22-2011)