View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #42 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
If you have time to test this idea I will be following with interest. My armchair QB 2¢ worth is that you won't see much difference because what you have illustrated is well below the "template". When I look at your tuft tests I see evidence of counter-rotating vortexes crashing onto your back glass, not necessarily "attached flow". The tufts at the bottom of the C pillar are flowing out, not inward. There was a thread on here a while back about the New Beetle having attached flow down the back (shown in tuft tests) and a horrible Cd. The angle of the C pillars created huge, spinning vortexes and drag. Aerohead designed the template as the minimum necessary to allow smooth airflow from the top and sides to rejoin and fill in the trailing wake.
Thanks for this read on my tuft test. I have been wondering more about the side flow off the trunk lid and did not know what to make of it. This is a real possibility. I can see it in my mind. I might have made it worse with the latest spoiler design (no photo yet). My latest version tries to approximate the template lines I projected from overhead in post #29: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post245629 EDIT (image added):

I wonder about an end plate now that might start from the side of the car, just aft of the rear side window and "grow" into a plate that would capture that sideways moving downdraft from the roof, redirecting it to the tail. Just wondering. My fabrication skills are weak, so I am becoming reluctant to keep trying these until I have built more of the simpler forms, like a new grill block, some good looking wheel well skirts, airdam, undertray... I'd have somewhat better skills for this ...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 06-23-2011 at 12:59 PM..