View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floordford View Post
So yesterday I tried an idea. I got aluminum rain gutter parts and tried to make a 90 degree air channel that would come from the lower radiator area and aim it at my air filter. But it didnt work out like I wanted. I have my ABS block, upper radiator hose and A/C lines that get in the way.

I did however block off a big fender hole that lets in cool outside air and I took of the K&N provided shield that insulates the filter from hot air. So now its an open filter that will suck under hood heat. Plus I sealed the gaps around the passenger headlight so that the hood doesnt scoop cool air onto the filter.

The testing grounds is a 158mile down and back from Nashville to the Alabama state line. All highway and close to 2.5 hours of driving. I got 32mpg Friday when I made the trip so if these mods are worth anything ill hope to see it Monday when I make the same trip.

BTW, my intake temp Friday when making that trip was 75 degrees with 185 coolant temps. Ill note the modified intake temp.

Oh, I also took my passenger mirror off. So Mondays testing will have to consider that too.
I hope your testing went well. If it didn't yield satisfactory results, consider that everything from temps to humidity to barometric pressure and the density of traffic all have been shown to have possibly significant impacts on test results. How was it?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.