View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
myrefugeisintheLord
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
I'm assuming that your Highlander is an automatic seeing how nobody seems to mention a manual version. When you get going from a stop, try quickly lifting your foot off the throttle for a second so it shifts sooner. You will learn from experience at what RPMs your Toyota will be able to shift into higher gears. This has helped my MPG from a stop. But I try to avoid stopping fully anytime that I can. Red lights are easy to avoid stopping for, and I do California stops for stop signs or turns. Hopefully that doesn't bite me in the rear end someday. : )

I don't think 35 MPG is possible for me, unless I continue doing small mods. I'm trying to figure out a way to have a manually adjustable warm and cold air intake. The warm intake has been the biggest improvement for our MPG, and I have to have cold air when I go up the mountain that we live on. Problem is, I'm not an engineer, or great with electrical. But I can learn.
Are there triggers for your Highlander to switch over to electric that you could manipulate? That would probably help.