View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #129 (permalink)
bondo
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
The compound curve aspect does come from forming one-dimensional curves over a total of 5 sections. This method was the only way of forming curves that did not involve cutting the 1/4 inch sheets in the fashion that Varn described (that's a nice boattail shape).

Once I get the skin coated (I have two cans of Styropoxy coming), I can use Bondo to fashion true compound curves, then coat the resultant mess with fiberglass.
I hate being used! No, seriously, the foam you are using is an extruded polystyrene foam. Fiberglass will dissolve the foam into a sticky muck due to the styrene chemical in the fiberglass resin. You will never be able to get a bond between the foam and the fiberglass. I just wanted to caution you as to prevent a very disappointing catastrophy, a true resultant mess indeed.

At this point, what I would do, is finish you aerocap in the foam to where it fits the truck bed perfectly and all gaps are filled. Then remove the foam model and set it upon something flat and stable. Then go buy yourself some industrial grade aluminum foil, comes in a big roll and restuarant supply companies carry it. Then go get yourself some 3M 77 spray adhesive and with a sqeegy (sic) cover the foam surface entirely with the aluminum foil. Cover all the foam leaving not a speck uncovered. If you don't the resin will attack it and even a small exposed portion uncovered will dissolve into a gapeing hole.

Then wax the aluminum foil. Three of four coats of wax is best and try to use a wax formulated for Fiberglass use. Then lay up three layers of one and one-half ounce fiberglass mat over the foam shape covered by the aluminum foil. Let it cure and then remove the fiberglas part. You have no need for the foam model anymore. You will now have a light strong fiberglass aerocap. Now develop your compound curves and finish the surface of the fiberglass part with bondo and sand smooth. Then devise a stong mounting system to mount you new cap to your truck bed (camper shell mounting clamps work great) and you are good to go.

Hope this helps,

Bondo
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bondo For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (06-30-2011), ChazInMT (06-30-2011), joggerfogger (06-30-2011), KamperBob (06-30-2011), slowmover (07-01-2011), t vago (06-30-2011)