View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
Interesting read.

A guy on a Focus forum claimed a 4 mpg gain from just removing the intake hose from under the air box so he was pulling warm engine compartment air in instead of ambient...and had as a result....less air resistance also.

Different car makes and years have different fuel management systems...resulting in differing results?

I'd have to do some dreaded A-B-A testing to prove anything though.
It would be interesting to see if you had different results than Sentra-SE-R, if you indeed have the MAF too. You might avoid an ABA test if you look closely at the systems in his car and compare them to yours... maybe there is enough similarity to convince you that his results will likely apply to you too--and so no testing needed. Also, one guy was suggesting I try a Cold Air Intake, which the ricers and racers love to buy to boost horsepower, but which might also boost FE if different driving techniques are applied. I have attempted several tests now and the results nearly always surprise me. And yup, I fully dread the time needed to test anything just now. So I am doing relatively uncontroverisal and not so creative mods at the moment: airdam, rear undertray, and wheel skirts.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.