View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #39 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
brucepick -

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Suggestion please. I'm doing this for my HX rims.

I have the holes drilled in the lug nut caps. The flat wheel covers are ready for drilling for the 8x32 screws.

I'm considering skipping the washer that would go between the 8x32 nut and the back side of the lug nut cap. I figure that way I can load epoxy onto the nut where it will meet the lug nut cap; the nut should end up embedded in a glob of epoxy. Any stress load of the nut against the cap would be spread across the surface of the cap by the hardened epoxy - correct? And plenty epoxy should end up surrounding the small nut's hex.

If I put a washer in between the small nut and the lug nut cap I'm not sure where the epoxy will set up a good grip on the small nut. What do you think?

The flat wheel covers are ready for mounting. Made from perforated sheet aluminum with coroplast backing glued on. The coroplast stiffener backing is cut out to leave "spokes" so some air can get through the aluminum perforations.
I think it depends on the back side of the lug nut cap. If the nut can lie flat and flush on the back side of the lug nut cap, then I think you are ok.

I used a no-epoxy design in mine where the T-Nut spikes just "grab" the inside of the plastic lug nut :

Here is a cross-section view :

However, this requires that I screw the bolt onto the plastic lug nut *before* I take the lug nut off. Otherwise the T-Nut will fall out when I take off the plastic lug nut.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society