View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #70 (permalink)
TheEnemy
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanspeed1 View Post
I look at what we do here. How is that we can come here, and with a little brainstorming and "spirited" discussion, we have borne witness to a 100mpg Civic, a 28 mpg Ford Super Duty Diesel, an affordable electric controller, a $657.00 electric car, and countless other vehicles that outperform what the factories have done, and without their billions worth of resources. How is it that we can crack the code on making a car or truck run better than they can?

It's because they already did, a long time ago, and were told not to release the technology to the general public. I was reading recently in GM High Tech Performance about the designs we drive now are usually 5 years old or older.

Malfeasance baby.
Its always easier and cheaper to build a one off when you don't have to worry about some idiot hurting themselves and then suing you for millions than building 100,000 and having to make sure all of the protections are there to prevent an idiot from getting hurt.

The design cycle on many models of cars is about 5 years. Between that and testing the new technology for safety and durability etc it doesn't supprise me that it takes major manufacturers that long to bring in new technology.

Keep in mind much of American culture is resistant to change, even good change.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnemy For This Useful Post:
cleanspeed1 (07-05-2011)