View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #89 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
As far as your idea to start a business "American-izing" European diesels, while I wish you could, the good old EPA stands in your way. And to think that people think the EPA promotes good FE!
For the Diesels a lot of those sold here get better emissions than TDIs do - take the PSA HDI series for example, which is sold in Volvos and Fords - or the FIAT Multijet which is also sold in Fords and GMs.

For the petrol models, they mostly get better than EPA ratings for emissions as they are also sold in Japan which has tighter regs (AFAIK) than the US or Europe, and in places like South Korea etc. which also has tight emissions standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Arragonis -

I think that focusing on just the taller manual trannies would be a good start. Swapping a tranny that is bolt-on compatible sounds like an easier operation than a whole engine.

CarloSW2
Maybe you misunderstand - these cars are sold here as I described - no swaps needed, they come from the factory like that. My idea would be (for e.g.) to get a LHD Aveo with a 1.2 Manual from Belgium and ship it to the US unregistered. It has a catalyst and can use US standard petrol and meet EPA emissions no bother - this is the same model sold in Korea, Japan, China etc.