View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiep View Post
I do do that and I've wondered now and again if I'm damaging the trans. It's been okay so far, and isn't making any nasty noises or showing anything on my RPMs that would indicate it's real bad..... It feels like it gets itself back up to the right gear in about the same time it would if I floored it. I figure that that wouldn't be too much different
I suggest you do the prudent thing: go to several independent transmission repair shops and ask them whether it will incur damage or not. All repair facilities (including Chevy dealers) farm out their A/T repair work because nobody fully understands A/T's as much as those who actually repair them.

Most people won't actually go and seek this advice, being afraid they might be advised against it. You might possibly be told it will damage the clutches or wreck the torque converter. If that were to happen, would anyone admit to false economy having saved $4 per tank of gas, but resulting in a $1500 transmission repair bill?

If I were you I'd ask some transmission experts. You'll have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time, and you might have some interesting conversations. And if you do, please let us know what they say.