Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
The PRC.

Euro-Aveo has a 1.2 engine and makes 50 MPG (imp) on the combined official consumption.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red - '04 Chevrolet Aveo
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Euro-Aveo has a 1.2 engine and makes 50 MPG (imp) on the combined official consumption.
I've noticed that companies tend to make vehicles bigger when bringing them over to our market in the US. In SOME way. My engine is 1.6L. I was looking at the Fiat 500s that just came over here and they're not as impressive in mileage as I was hoping, based on reviews of them in Europe and Top Gear not thinking it was too bad VW has been teasing us about their BlueMotion for some time and bringing over the Polo and that stuff. The smaller engines seem to get so much better mileage and the last ones of those seem to be the Geo Metro in the US!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiep View Post
I do do that and I've wondered now and again if I'm damaging the trans. It's been okay so far, and isn't making any nasty noises or showing anything on my RPMs that would indicate it's real bad..... It feels like it gets itself back up to the right gear in about the same time it would if I floored it. I figure that that wouldn't be too much different
I suggest you do the prudent thing: go to several independent transmission repair shops and ask them whether it will incur damage or not. All repair facilities (including Chevy dealers) farm out their A/T repair work because nobody fully understands A/T's as much as those who actually repair them.

Most people won't actually go and seek this advice, being afraid they might be advised against it. You might possibly be told it will damage the clutches or wreck the torque converter. If that were to happen, would anyone admit to false economy having saved $4 per tank of gas, but resulting in a $1500 transmission repair bill?

If I were you I'd ask some transmission experts. You'll have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time, and you might have some interesting conversations. And if you do, please let us know what they say.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiep View Post
I've noticed that companies tend to make vehicles bigger when bringing them over to our market in the US. In SOME way. My engine is 1.6L. I was looking at the Fiat 500s that just came over here and they're not as impressive in mileage as I was hoping, based on reviews of them in Europe and Top Gear not thinking it was too bad VW has been teasing us about their BlueMotion for some time and bringing over the Polo and that stuff. The smaller engines seem to get so much better mileage and the last ones of those seem to be the Geo Metro in the US!
They do seem to either miss out the little cars entirely (Ford Ka, GM Agila etc.) or only sell them with larger engines - e.g. the Yaris.

When I mentioned this elsewhere (*cough TTAC - aka "w@nking about cars" *cough) the replies all seem to suggest that Merkins 'NEED' all that performance compared to us poor Europeans. Yet when I have driven in the US (prior to EM stylee driving) I was passing on the freeways far more times than I was passed and I was doing more or less average European speeds. I did MN Airport to Alexandria in what was to my friends who lived there a record time - again, I was going slow for a European to enjoy the scenery.

The 500 has a really bad standard engines IMHO, not typical of European cars at all. You either have to get the TwinAir or the MultiJet Diesel to get anything with decent mileage or a decent drive neither of which are in the US I think. The Abarth is decent but not an FE machine.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red - '04 Chevrolet Aveo
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeclock
I suggest you do the prudent thing: go to several independent transmission repair shops and ask them whether it will incur damage or not..........
I hadn't really thought about that for some reason! When I get around to it, I'll ask and report. Thanks for the suggestion! It'd be nice to see what people around here say and then maybe even get some reports from other people in other areas.

Quote:
the replies all seem to suggest that Merkins 'NEED' all that performance compared to us poor Europeans. Yet when I have driven in the US (prior to EM stylee driving) I was passing on the freeways far more times than I was passed and I was doing more or less average European speeds. I did MN Airport to Alexandria in what was to my friends who lived there a record time - again, I was going slow for a European to enjoy the scenery.
Meh! I think it's a mindset we've adopted. Bigger is safer (for the person IN the bigger vehicle) and faster acceleration is safer. But I've gotten along fine without either. Along with that thinking, hot cars are fast. Fast cars are hot and purr. I have to agree that I find myself going, "Ooo!" Seeing a Maserati or other 400+hp beast on the road, but it's not something I want.

Quote:
The 500 has a really bad standard engines IMHO, not typical of European cars at all.
Yes! It made me sad when I went to the Fiat dealership to see what the ones were like that came over here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arragonis View Post
You either have to get the TwinAir or the MultiJet Diesel to get anything with decent mileage or a decent drive neither of which are in the US I think. The Abarth is decent but not an FE machine.
I feel like we're so slow to adopt deisel, but it seems awesome, especially since it's so much cleaner burning and quieter now! At least in non-trucks. I'm hoping a car will come out soon that's a diesel-electric hybrid. Trains have been doing it for, like, ever. Why not cars??
Old 07-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sweet, another aveo!

I'm creeping up on you with my last tank, and after I get my maintenance taken care of my numbers should improve even more. I'm glad I'm not one of the only aveo drivers on here

I have a certified mechanic friend, I'll ask him about the shifting. He also has other mechanic friends so I'll get their opinions on it as well. I know for a fact that they do transmission work.

Good luck to you and I hope your mod ideas work out in the future. I'm planning a few myself but can't do anything to it till I do the timing belt, hub bearings, valve cover etc.

Oh and btw, I do EOC in mine and it seems to be fine. Don't know if you have the same year, but any 2004-2006 should be the same. As long as you're careful to have the car in neutral, you can EOC safely. You'll still have a few good pumps on the brakes left, and the steering doesn't get difficult until under 25 mph. Of course if you don't feel safe doing it, don't do it, but it is possible.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
JPD
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsatter View Post
Great job. The Aveo rates at around 28 mpg, so 40 is a 43% gain.

Losing all the weight, no doubt, reduced the fuel used to get up to speed.

A little bit of over inflation of the tires, if you're comfortable with that will give you a boost.

A grill block and smooth wheel covers are great projects that will get you some gains as well.

Keep it up!
Hi, I've got an Aveo, I've seen the thread about the grille block, do you have any information about smooth wheel covers and how to make them for an Aveo?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
L/100km

Missy - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 35.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
I suggest you do the prudent thing: go to several independent transmission repair shops and ask them whether it will incur damage or not. All repair facilities (including Chevy dealers) farm out their A/T repair work because nobody fully understands A/T's as much as those who actually repair them.
I think that if you go this route you will find that 99.9% of the answers will be its bad for the box! The techs might know how to repair but don't necessarily know how they work

The best advice I have found on coasting in neutral was here Corolla 07 Coasting on Neutral? - CleanMPG Forums

Try and find info on how your slush-boz works and then make up your own mind.

I'm happy to coast in neutral in my '06 Scion and am getting 40mpg with the seats in
The Following User Says Thank You to paulu For This Useful Post:
katiep (12-21-2011)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Disciple

ave(c)o - '08 Chevrolet Aveo (3 door)
90 day: 45.6 mpg (US)
This shows that engine size really makes the difference. I have an 1.2L Aveo that makes 53 MPG, without any modd (except removing the radio antenna, and over-inflate the tires from the recomended 2,3 to 2,5 BAR).

Don't know if the gasoline RON also makes a big difference. For example, here in Portugal we only have 95 and 98 RON. From what I know, in the US there is from 85 to 91 RON. I've been told that the more RON the gasoline has, the more efficient it is. So it's supposed to give a better mileage.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
The octane rating of fuel in the US and Canada is actually pretty close to what is available in Europe. We just for some reason use a different octane rating system than you guys do. You use RON where as we use AKI. You can read about it in this wiki:

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically though, regular 87 octane gas in the US is the equivalent of 91-92 RON. Premium 93 octane gas in the US is the equivalent of 97 RON. So Europe has slightly higher octane fuel available.

I highly doubt this has any sizable effect on fuel economy. The gains are mostly from your engine.

Tags
mpg, success