View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #379 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
I left the bottom of my tail open a bit so that any water that gets into the tail can drain out.
Hi Weather,

I hear you on the comment about inside drainage to the outside world.

In my case however, the rain got into the fiberglass from the OUTSIDE.

There were several areas where the fiberglass on the bottom side ran all the way across, edge to edge, but not overlapping the existing glass running down from the sides.

End result was a "gap" that ran the length of both sides of the underside body work. And man did the water love that gap.

Once the water infiltrated the gap in glass, it found the Elmers Glue and decided to "soften it up a bit" and used that path as a way to travel wherever it wanted to.

Well travel it did, to every remote crock and cranny that it could find until the fiberglass said "uncle - enough".

Even the spackling got involved and softened right up under the pressure of the moist presence.

The motorcycle fairing that I made 15 years ago did not suffer the same abuse as it was constructed in the basement over the winter and when it emerged from the bowels of the basement, it was ready to rock and roll come rain or shower.

So now the objective is to get the "tail" ready for the same experience this fall.

Jim.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
jime57 (07-11-2011)