View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #322 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Just 5 years? That's nothing: I was still getting mail for the previous owner's husband for nearly a decade after I bought this place, and he'd died several years before she sold it to me.

The really funny thing, though, is that about half of the junk was offers for life insurance :-)
Well, at least they are delivering it to the correct address.

For several years I was getting delivery of my neighbor's mail to my address, at least once every month or two. My house looks totally different than theirs and both houses have the address clearly posted near their front doors, so there was no reason for confusion. We both had lived in our respective houses for 25 years. After delivering their mail myself several times, I then took it to the post office and explained the persistent error to the USPS management. Each time they promised it wouldn't happen again. But it kept happening. They gave me little red stickers to put on my door where my mail slot is to alert the mail carrier to actually read the address before delivering. It kept happening. I put numerals an inch high stating my address on the mail slot itself, leaving no possible doubt as to what my street number is. It kept happening. Finally, in frustration, I went to the post office once last time and told the supervisor in no uncertain terms that his mail carriers were just plain STUPID. (After all, their only job is to deliver the mail to the correct address. If you can't even do THAT right, what good are you?)

It kept happening. With my patience exhausted, I simply got a red marker and wrote in large letters on each piece of wrongly delivered mail: DELIVERED TO THE WRONG ADDRESS - then deposited them in the nearest mailbox.

Finally, that cured it.