Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #321 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 807 Times in 591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Marketing - we moved here 5+ years ago and we still get mail for the previous owners.
Just 5 years? That's nothing: I was still getting mail for the previous owner's husband for nearly a decade after I bought this place, and he'd died several years before she sold it to me.

The really funny thing, though, is that about half of the junk was offers for life insurance :-)

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 07-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #322 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 865
Thanks: 29
Thanked 111 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Just 5 years? That's nothing: I was still getting mail for the previous owner's husband for nearly a decade after I bought this place, and he'd died several years before she sold it to me.

The really funny thing, though, is that about half of the junk was offers for life insurance :-)
Well, at least they are delivering it to the correct address.

For several years I was getting delivery of my neighbor's mail to my address, at least once every month or two. My house looks totally different than theirs and both houses have the address clearly posted near their front doors, so there was no reason for confusion. We both had lived in our respective houses for 25 years. After delivering their mail myself several times, I then took it to the post office and explained the persistent error to the USPS management. Each time they promised it wouldn't happen again. But it kept happening. They gave me little red stickers to put on my door where my mail slot is to alert the mail carrier to actually read the address before delivering. It kept happening. I put numerals an inch high stating my address on the mail slot itself, leaving no possible doubt as to what my street number is. It kept happening. Finally, in frustration, I went to the post office once last time and told the supervisor in no uncertain terms that his mail carriers were just plain STUPID. (After all, their only job is to deliver the mail to the correct address. If you can't even do THAT right, what good are you?)

It kept happening. With my patience exhausted, I simply got a red marker and wrote in large letters on each piece of wrongly delivered mail: DELIVERED TO THE WRONG ADDRESS - then deposited them in the nearest mailbox.

Finally, that cured it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #323 (permalink)
Hypermiler
 
PaleMelanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,305

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.4 mpg (US)
Thanks: 594
Thanked 416 Times in 273 Posts
Related mail-delivery issue I have. The Martins live at 123 Smith street. The Smiths live two blocks away at 1123 Martin street. Yeah, we get mail mixed up now and then.



* names changed
__________________



11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #324 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
Back at work after a week off and Mrs A's birthday in Paris
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #325 (permalink)
aero guerrilla
 
Piwoslaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,541

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,056
Thanked 629 Times in 396 Posts
When someone starts panicking because my low-fuel light came on with a beep. As if they didn't see that the onboard computer estimates another 185km. As if they didn't know me
__________________
e·co·mod·ding: the art of turning vehicles into what they should be

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #326 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: scotland
Posts: 1,401

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Babette - '01 Renault Clio 172 Exclusive
90 day: 31.17 mpg (US)

Derv Olop - '96 VW Polo CL
90 day: 38.61 mpg (US)

The Miserly Missile - '01 Skoda Octavia Tdi Ambiente
Team m8
90 day: 48.67 mpg (US)

Puggit - '97 Peugeot 306 Dturbo
90 day: 42.8 mpg (US)

Alfalfa - '02 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 T Spark
90 day: 27.31 mpg (US)

316 - '87 BMW 316
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)

Vectra - '01 Vauxhall Vectra SRi
90 day: 32.14 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

Howdi Hay two - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 49.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 88
Thanked 83 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
When someone starts panicking because my low-fuel light came on with a beep. As if they didn't see that the onboard computer estimates another 185km. As if they didn't know me
My mother has a thing about always having 1/4 of a tank in the car..

I've used it numerous times to aviod having to fuel the family car

but now I'm a grown up, I dont...
__________________
My Blog on cars- Fu'Gutty Cars
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

US MPG for my Merc s124 300TD


---------------------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #327 (permalink)
(:
 
Frank Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: up north
Posts: 12,685

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,566
Thanked 3,469 Times in 2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Related mail-delivery issue I have. The Martins live at 123 Smith street. The Smiths live two blocks away at 1123 Martin street. Yeah, we get mail mixed up now and then.
When I was a kid the school bus driver and I had the same name (no relation). Well, at least it was convenient for us to exchange wrongly delivered mail- I saw him Monday-Friday.
__________________


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #328 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
larrybuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sw Washington (state), a little north of Vancouver
Posts: 1,043
Thanks: 277
Thanked 77 Times in 60 Posts
I can identify with post office nightmares!

I have a PO box where I prefer my most important mail to go

For about 6 months, nothing of my most important came through.

My car insurance guy called me up on two different occasions, as my unknown payments were in a rears: he couldn't believe himself how badly it was screwed up!

I had to remember to contact my bill providers, before the monthly due date, and square away what I owed them.

I had two separate meetings face to face with the post master, to no avail!

Finally, it was found out that a previous boxholder (same box) had a last name somewhat similar to mine; and for those 6 months, all my importants were being sent to a different town about 15 miles away, and that the current boxholder there was simply trashing MY mail!!!

What a nightmare! Now I have a good street address; but I'm gunshy of dropping the PO box now that it's finally working; because who knows how badly it might re-occur if I try to change it????
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #329 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 655

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 35
Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
53 Hours without power thanks to a 30 minute Wind storm. 75+ MPH winds knocked out a whole lot of power lines. Thankfully, my fridge was mostly empty due to my upcoming 18 Day road trip, so I didn't lose much food to the heat, just a quart of milk, and 2 partial bags of shredded cheese.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #330 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 865
Thanks: 29
Thanked 111 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
I can identify with post office nightmares!

I have a PO box where I prefer my most important mail to go

For about 6 months, nothing of my most important came through.

My car insurance guy called me up on two different occasions, as my unknown payments were in a rears: he couldn't believe himself how badly it was screwed up!

I had to remember to contact my bill providers, before the monthly due date, and square away what I owed them.

I had two separate meetings face to face with the post master, to no avail!

Finally, it was found out that a previous boxholder (same box) had a last name somewhat similar to mine; and for those 6 months, all my importants were being sent to a different town about 15 miles away, and that the current boxholder there was simply trashing MY mail!!!

What a nightmare! Now I have a good street address; but I'm gunshy of dropping the PO box now that it's finally working; because who knows how badly it might re-occur if I try to change it????
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The worst part of it is that no matter how badly they screw up, you can't even sue them. I tried once and the case was rejected. You can't sue the U.S. Government.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com