View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
katiep
EcoModding Lurker

Red - '04 Chevrolet Aveo
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeclock
I suggest you do the prudent thing: go to several independent transmission repair shops and ask them whether it will incur damage or not..........
I hadn't really thought about that for some reason! When I get around to it, I'll ask and report. Thanks for the suggestion! It'd be nice to see what people around here say and then maybe even get some reports from other people in other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
the replies all seem to suggest that Merkins 'NEED' all that performance compared to us poor Europeans. Yet when I have driven in the US (prior to EM stylee driving) I was passing on the freeways far more times than I was passed and I was doing more or less average European speeds. I did MN Airport to Alexandria in what was to my friends who lived there a record time - again, I was going slow for a European to enjoy the scenery.
Meh! I think it's a mindset we've adopted. Bigger is safer (for the person IN the bigger vehicle) and faster acceleration is safer. But I've gotten along fine without either. Along with that thinking, hot cars are fast. Fast cars are hot and purr. I have to agree that I find myself going, "Ooo!" Seeing a Maserati or other 400+hp beast on the road, but it's not something I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
The 500 has a really bad standard engines IMHO, not typical of European cars at all.
Yes! It made me sad when I went to the Fiat dealership to see what the ones were like that came over here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arragonis View Post
You either have to get the TwinAir or the MultiJet Diesel to get anything with decent mileage or a decent drive neither of which are in the US I think. The Abarth is decent but not an FE machine.
I feel like we're so slow to adopt deisel, but it seems awesome, especially since it's so much cleaner burning and quieter now! At least in non-trucks. I'm hoping a car will come out soon that's a diesel-electric hybrid. Trains have been doing it for, like, ever. Why not cars??