View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #356 (permalink)
adamj12b
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by apowers View Post
I put some DC voltage through it from a tiny 9 volt battery. I don't want to kill myself. That is not easy to measure voltage from it . On the primary side there is 4 taps plus a black wire that seems to be a common. The primary is wound with 17 gauge wire 5 in hand and the secondary is 14 gauge 8 in hand. The common wire has some type of sensor or something mounted tight to the coil under the wrapping.

I have a small transformer that I can run some AC through it. The small battery would just sag to nothing. Just tapping the battery contact was giving lots of different readings. It did burn out a small 12 volt bulb just using the 9 volt battery after it was down to less than 8 volts.

This thing weighs 30 pounds. The wire is copper but a magnet is attracted to the core.

Alvin
Transformers only work with AC. The battery was just being shorted out though the copper wire.

The small sensor you see is most likely a temp switch. When the transformer gets too hot, it will open and cut power. This is usually connected to the primary winding.

The core will be iron. Most likely laminated plates. This would be a low frequency in the range of 50-400Hz.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com